Friday, November 8, 2013

Strudel Day

A couple of weeks ago my aunt hosted Strudel Day.  My grandma's mom brought the family strudel recipe with her from Hungary.  Before my grandma passed away we had Strudel Day every year, and it's a tradition that most of us have been missing ever since.  So after almost a decade with no strudel, my aunt decided to bring it back. 

Making strudel is a complicated task, and it takes a lot of it to feed our large family.  Several people spent most of the day making the delicious pastry for all of us to enjoy.  We also enjoyed bean soup, wine (ok, not me), and an assortment of appetizers.  Everything turned out great and it's always fun to get together with the Schmidts.

My dad and aunt chopping pumpkin

Starting to stretch the strudel dough


It is difficult to stretch the dough thin without creating a bunch of holes!

Adding toppings (oil, apple, cinnamon and sugar)
 
My family traditionally makes pumpkin and cottage cheese, apple and cottage cheese, and apple with cinnamon and sugar strudel.  This year they also tried a couple with meat and cheese.

Maiken helping to remove the heavy edge of the dough
which became noodles for the bean soup

Rolling up the strudel

Careful not to roll it on the floor!

Ready to bake!


Finished strudel!

Enjoying dinner, dessert, and family

This poster shows my grandma and two aunts enjoying a
glass of wine and making strudel in "9 easy steps".

Can't wait to have strudel again!


~Kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment